The race itself would make a good post, so I may try to get to that this week. Suffice it to say, it was incredibly challenging and not something I think you could truly prepare for without regularly running the course itself. Steep climbs, frequent stream crossings, mud pits, and rocky terrain, coupled with leaf or pine straw covered trails, made for a challenging, exhausting day of running.
As someone new to the Paleo lifestyle and still experimenting with it, I wasn't at a point where I felt prepared to train without my historic go-to staples, like pre-run bagels. (To be honest, a lot of it tied into convenience, too.) So the closer the race got, the worse my diet became... a bagel with egg soon added cheese, then I started eating bagels with just cream cheese again throughout the week, then cheese and crackers for dinner now & then, then pizza became my pre-long run dinner. My eating habits these last four weeks quickly devolved into my poor diet before my first Whole 30 in November. (My waistline tells the tale!)
So it is with some relief that today I've started another Whole 30. I'm surprised at how comfortable it feels to slide back into it and know that my food decisions are being made for me... a sign that I really am better off with the "all or nothing" approach because moderation isn't something I've mastered. Guess it's good to "know thyself," right?
That said, I am planning to keep alcohol in my diet this month. Why? Well, first of all, I really don't drink all that much--maybe one or two drinks a week. (It's one of the areas of food where I'm able to be completely moderate.)
Second, being on the dating scene and not drinking (especially when you normally drink) is a hassle--it's nice to have the option to meet someone for a casual drink when you're getting to know him.
Third, I enjoy having a cocktail or glass of wine when I'm out with friends. So drinking in moderation will be allowed. (I will avoid cocktails with sugar, and I foresee my preferred choice of drink being whiskey or bourbon on the rocks.) I know this approach will seem blasphemous to Whole 30 purists, and others may find my reasoning lame... but it's my approach and I feel good about it.
So, all that said, here's what I ate on Day #1:
- Breakfast of 2 eggs scrambled with a chopped chipotle pepper in adodo sauce, one piece of pan-fried prosciutto, and half of a plantain pan-fried in coconut oil and seasoned with salt. I drank my coffee (unsweet chocolate lavender infused flavor) without any creamer.
- Mid-morning, I snacked on some dried, unsulfured/unsweetened mango strips. I suspect snacking is as much about habit/boredom than hunger at this point and I'll soon break myself of the habit.
- Lunch was a soup with sausage, collard greens, Japanese sweet potato and a little bit of coconut milk adapted from this recipe. (I also used a spicy cilantro chicken sausage instead of Italian sausage, and added a pinch of ground ginger.) I supplemented the soup with some raw veggies (carrot, tomatoes, celery) and two spears of pineapple for some sweetness.
- An afternoon snack comprised some cashews and more dried mango. I was feeling ravenous... my body has become so accustomed to gorging the last two weeks that I'm sure it's protesting!
- I get huge points for resisting the free dinner option I had of BBQ chicken, delicious looking macaroni & cheese, cornbread and apple crumble. I realized that I wasn't really prepared to eat Whole 30 this week (I need to make some more food!) so I headed to the store and grabbed a rotisserie chicken and salad with Tahini dressing, olives, sunflower seeds, and veggies. My sugar demon, as the Whole 30 folks would say, is in full force, so I closed out the meal with an orange.
I will once again do my best to check in a few times a week and update you on Round #2 of Whole 30! I'm curious to see how it all plays out this time around. And looking forward to feeling better on healthier foods again!
No comments:
Post a Comment