Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014: Resolving to turn Should into Did

It is January 2nd, and I am on day 1 of a second Whole 30. Honestly, it may end up being a Whole 14, or Whole 21, or a Whole 30 90% of the time, but I have seen concrete, negative effects from all the sugar and flour I ate throughout the holidays. So it's time to get back to feeling better.

Signs I need this? My skin is breaking out more than it did, I feel bloated, I've put back on 2-3 pounds in the last two weeks, and my moods are definitely not quite so even-keeled as they were on the Whole 30 eating plan, even when I had relaxed to doing it about 80% of the time. Oh, and the heart palpitations are turning up more frequently once again.

I don't regret letting go a bit for the holidays, just as I'm feeling good about resuming pursuing a cleaner diet. It's all about balance.

There are two obstacles I'm fighting now... I'm ready to get over them! First, the sugar demon got me again, so I am craving sugar all the time and always wanting that bite of chocolate or candy after my meals. I know this craving will go away when I stop giving in. Second, I must have stretched my stomach because I can eat so much, all day long. I know that will regulate, too, once my body adapts and I start eating mindfully once again.

For 2014, my resolution is turn more of my "I shoulds" into "I dids." So:

  • I should go for a run = I did go for a run
  • I should call my friend to catch up with her = I did call her
  • I should be better about keeping up with a Bible study plan... you get the picture.

As Yoda says, "Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." Instead of thinking of what I should do, and coming up with excuses to not do it (I'm tired, I don't want to be sore tomorrow from strength training, she probably won't answer), I need to just do it. Less thought, more action.

So that is my resolution for 2014. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment