Monday, October 28, 2013

A Recipe for Magic

Okay, it's not quite magic, but it's close, and I had to share this recipe for "Super Soup" somewhere online so I can pin it and find it again. (Right now it's sitting in my work inbox.) The original recipe reads as follows:

"So put all of the following ingredients chopped into a large soup pot

Carrots
Sweet potato
Butternut squash
Red apples
Cauliflower
Evoo
Salt/pepper/ sage/ rosemary/nutmeg

Cover with chicken broth and boil till all veggies are soft, blend with hand mixer till desired consistency, adding more broth. I had rotisserie chicken so I added it to make it heartier. So healthy and yummy!"

So, that's pretty much what I did. But I'll share details and approximate measurements below. The soup is great because it's 100% Whole30 compliant, hearty and incredibly easy to make. Here's an estimate of the recipe I used:


Not the prettiest picture but oh so tasty!

1-2 lb butternut squash (medium to large), peeled and cubed
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
About 1 cup of roughly chopped carrot, maybe more
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 to 1.5 cups of cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red apple (gala or fuji), peeled and chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt, pepper and thyme to taste
Sufficient chicken broth to cover the veggies and adjust final texture
One rotisserie chicken (skin removed), torn into bite-sized pieces

Place vegetables, evoo, apple, and seasonings into large soup pot. Cover with chicken broth and simmer until all vegetables are soft. Allow to cool slightly, then carefully blend with an immersion blender, avoiding spatter. Reheat on low and stir in chicken. Taste, and adjust seasoning as needed.

It made for a delicious lunch, and I paired it with some sliced mango to satisfy my sweet tooth.

More posts coming soon with my meals. Feeling easy now, but I'm facing dinner out tonight already, and it's easy to not feel bored or limited just one day in!

Enjoy this magical, healthy soup!

1 comment:

  1. This was so good! I made a few changes based on what I had on hand (and another recipe I saw for a similar kind of soup).

    Changes: Caramelized onions in a little coconut oil, cooked spices (red pepper, cumin, nutmeg, cloves, bay leaf), added frozen tri-colored peppers, and omitted the sweet potato. Cooked in vegetable broth and added a touch of coconut milk at the end.

    This soup is delicious! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete