Sunday, October 27, 2013

Overdue Musings and A New Challenge

Well, here I thought I'd written up my Nashville marathon experience and I hadn't. That is a post for another day, because it deserves the time and detail I don't have just now. (The good news is that I documented it in my journal, so I can revisit that for the full & glorious recap.) 

Short story: I finished Nashville just under my goal time (slow, but faster than I'd hoped for) in the pouring down, cold rain. It rained until mile 23 when the sun broke through and I could at last shed the clear garbage bag I'd been wearing all along as added protection from the wet. I ran the whole way with a training buddy, Michelle, and managed (barely) to not pass out as I nearly lost my breath fighting off tears of joy and relief when we crossed the finish line. It was hard, painful and mentally an uphill battle. But I did it, and I am so glad I did. I do have another marathon in me... maybe even this coming spring. TBD.

Regarding my last post, my heart still palpitates but has not caused further trouble. My official diagnosis is "heart palpitations," but my doctor refers to it as a "ticklish heart" which basically just means it's very reactionary. (Every once in a while I feel sick to my stomach and my heart rate skyrockets during spin class or a hard hill or track workout, but I haven't yet gotten ill, so, that's something.)

Looking at this blog you can see a series of new beginnings, and then posts months later when I start something else new. This is no exception.

I am about to embark upon the Whole30 challenge. It is essentially the Paleo Diet, though I'm still digging through the differences and what exactly I can eat. In general, meat, seafood, eggs, veggies, fruits and healthy fats all are in. Sugar, dairy, grains, alcohol and legumes all are out. At least for the first 30 days, after which I can reintroduce foods. (I am confident I'll be ready to bring back in beans and lentils!)



I've long resisted the diet, reasoning that any diet that doesn't allow you to eat oatmeal is just plain wrong. (In the same way I would never do Atkins, because any diet that lets you eat bacon and not fruit is seriously, seriously flawed.)

But I feel like I've been working so hard this year to build up my fitness, adding gym classes and cross-training, running the marathon, and nothing is changing. If anything, I've put on a couple of pounds. Reading through the Whole30 book, "It Starts With Food," I feel like I am the textbook case they're addressing. If I get nothing else from this experience, it will at least be a chance to break my sugar cravings and clean up my diet before the holidays. I'm in between training seasons, so don't have to worry about it interfering with long runs, and I will finish up before Thanksgiving, which makes this a realistic goal.

So here goes. Day 1 will be Monday, October 28. Day 30 will be Tuesday, November 26. The biggest obstacles I foresee are a few dinners planned with friends at home (which is harder than ordering out) and a weekend trip to Chicago with my college roommate. 

Days 1-7, I can expect "withdrawal" symptoms--crankiness, headaches, fatigue. I'll do my best to document this process here on my blog... because I think it will be worthwhile to look back on it.

I'm ready to go: I made a butternut squash soup with sweet potato, cauliflower, carrots, onion, celery, seasonings and broth pureed with rotisserie chicken stirred in (so yummy!), and a cauliflower coconut milk curry with sweet potato, red pepper, and green peas (allowed on the diet). I've got veggies galore loaded into my fridge, and a variety of fruit on hand. I've planned out breakfasts for the week: almond milk pumpkin smoothies or eggs with salsa and prosciutto, and a side of fruit.

Let's see what happens. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment