Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Whole30 Challenge: Day 2 Menu

Day 2 kicked off to a stuttering start. My smoke detector battery started dying at 4:47 a.m., which totally threw my morning off (the beeping every few minutes). While I should have just gotten up and gone to the gym, I grumpily tried to sleep longer through the incessant chirp. 

I had the strangest, most realistic dreams last night. Not about food (as predicted in It Starts With Food) but about former coworkers and high school classmates I haven't seen in years. A strange night's sleep all in all!

Breakfast: This morning, when I finally got up, I felt sluggish and on the edge of nausea. I was craving a bagel or English muffin. So, instead, I made an awesome flour-free pancake from fannetastic food:


IMG_6808
Photo courtesy of http://www.fannetasticfood.com
My pancake (made with egg and banana as the base) didn't look that good, so I'm borrowing Anne's pretty picture. I slightly overcooked it, and I added pumpkin pie spice and some unsweetened cocoa powder (making it more brown than golden). Flax seed and sunflower butter spread are on my "okay occasionally" list so those rounded out my breakfast.

Lunch: I enjoyed some of my coconut milk curry (cauliflower, sweet potato, peas, tomato, and onion with green curry paste and coconut milk) as a soup with a few slices of mango. I felt good... until about 3:30 when I got ravenous. (See snacks section below.)

Dinner: Again with the ravenous. I snacked on some dried pineapple and celery as I prepared dinner, and prepared roasted broccoli to go with my Super Butternut Squash Soup. Blackberries rounded out my meal as dessert.


Feeling very healthy about now.

Snack: Late afternoon, I was starving. The curry needs some more protein, I think, since it's mostly veggies in broth. (Note to self.) So I stopped at Trader Joe's to stock up on fruit, dried fruit and a bag of pistachios (dried fruit and nuts to be eaten in moderation). To snack, I had some of the dried pineapple, freeze dried strawberries, a small handful of pistachios, and a couple of small slices of cantaloupe. All the fruit is unsweetened and unsulfured, so I felt good about it. It was a big snack, but I was hungry and tonight's a run night so I'll need some fuel in my system.

Exercise: I ran just under 3 miles with the Fleet Feet group. I ended the day with just over 9,000 steps and 4.4 miles logged for the day.

One last observation: I was missing something last night... the thunderous heart palpitations I usually experience in the evening. I'll be interested to keep an eye on this to see if it was a fluke last night or part of a trend.

Two down, 28 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment