#1 - I ran a 20-mile trail run in February. I'm SO glad I did it. But it also burned me out on running, and I've essentially stopped running since then. (I've been picking back up the last two months, but I'm still not in a consistent routine again.)
#2 - I bought my first home. The whole shebang: searching, mortgage, offer, inspection, closing, moving, closing out lease on apartment, moved.Now, with that in mind, here are some truths about me:
- I am a creature of routine, and disturbing my routine (through something like moving) takes me weeks to recover from, and so even though I moved in early June, I am just now starting to get back into a workout routine. And breaking my running routine? Bad idea. Big, bad, bad idea. (Shoulda, coulda, woulda.)
- I am a stress eater. And the best comfort foods for me involve bread and cheese in copious amounts. Bagels & cream cheese, crackers and cheese/pimento cheese, sandwiches, pizza, chips & queso.
- Self-restraint? Not so much. Options tend to be "eat it all" or "throw it away so I don't eat it all."
- I am a convenience eater. If I'm running late, or I've worked late and I'm hungry, it is so easy to justify picking up the aforementioned bread & cheese meals versus even making some eggs, oatmeal, stir-fry, grilled chicken, etc. (all those healthy but also easy to make foods).
- When I'm not eating well, I don't feel good, and I wake up exhausted, so I don't exercise. It's a vicious cycle!
- I feel so good when I'm eating well, and when I make good food choices (e.g., salads over fries, veggies over cheese).
- I am more alert and less moody when I eat well.
- I feel more confident when I'm on a roll of healthy eating and exercising.
Am I hard on myself? Yes. But I also know that the bottom line right now is that I don't feel good, and I want to, and cleaning up my diet and exercising are the keys to that. I will lose weight when I do that, which is good because my jeans looked much better on me a few months ago, but this is less about the number on the scale and more about living in a way I know makes me feel better and is, in fact, better for me.
So it's time for me to recommit to a healthy lifestyle. My half-marathon training picks back up next week, so the running will be taken care of. I'm also working on building gym classes and high intensity interval training workouts into my routine.
And, conveniently, the Whole 9 website will be running a site-wide Whole 30 challenge beginning on August 1st. Accountability is key for me, and so I will be blogging my menus once again starting August 1.
I look forward to feeling better, having clearer skin again (oh, I didn't mention the huge cystic acne I'm fighting right now?) and having some more breathing room in my clothes.
As far as long-term goals, I plan to follow the Whole 30 and, unlike last time, test reintroducing foods in September. Dairy first (because I hope my life includes cheese in moderation!), then beans/legumes. Let's do this!
No comments:
Post a Comment