Friday, August 1, 2014

Whole 30 is ON

Well, it's August 1 and time for a committed, full Whole 30. Here's my plan for this second time around (I've had a few teases with it this year, but this is the full shebang, "I'm doing this" time.) It's a site-wide challenge led by the Whole 30 folks themselves--check it out!

  • Instead of posting daily menus, I'm going to aim for occasional posts of things I really loved (see below for the frittata muffins I had for breakfast today) and a weekly wrap up with a daily summary of how the day went.
  • I'm going to do my best to be compliant--but I'm not going to make myself crazy about a few things. My prosciutto isn't perfect. My sunflower seed butter (to be eaten in limited amounts!) has sugar in the ingredient list (though 0g per serving). I will be making banana/egg pancakes occasionally and drinking smoothies that aren't 100% perfect. But I will remain true to the spirit of the challenge and strive to do as well as I can.
  • I plan to focus on slowly and methodically reintroducing foods after the challenge. First up: cheese. Second up: beans.

I'm excited to get going again! Now for those frittata muffins. I used this recipe from Nom Nom Paleo. But I didn't have those exact veggies around. Here's what I did:

  • Sauteed shallot in ghee, then added garlic, then about 4 leaves of kale pulled off the stem and torn into small pieces. After the kale was cooked partway, I added a touch of water then covered the pan to steam it a little more.
  • Egg mixture was as indicated, though I only used 4 eggs and so halved the coconut milk and coconut flour. I used dried basil and parsley as well as red pepper flakes to season the egg mixture.


It was a delicious, filling breakfast, and the best part is I have leftovers to get me through the weekend. I'll definitely be making this recipe again.

And so here I go! 30 days of meat, veggies, healthy fats and fruit. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment