Thursday, March 12, 2015

My Newest Challenge

Some of the best decisions I've made in my life have been based on a gut "knowing" (stronger than a feeling!) that I need to do something.

I got that tug in my gut this week. I've been picking my running efforts up steadily the last few weeks (well, apart from the snow storms that stymied all of us!) in preparation for a 10-mile race in April. This past weekend, I got in a really wonderful 7-mile run. It was challenging--extremely hilly--and I was feeling the run by the time I finished. But my strongest emotion was a sense of accomplishment at pushing myself and being able to finish that run feeling tired, but strong.

I realized how much I am craving that challenge again. The joy of training for a race that you can't wing. The nerves I feel before a hard workout, and then that sense of complete fulfillment I get when I've done it.

So, I'm training for a full marathon again this fall.

My last (and first) marathon was Nashville in spring of 2013. It poured down rain. It was colder than we'd thought it would be. The "rock 'n' roll" didn't happen because of the rain, and spectators were scarce. But when I think of that race, I feel proud of myself for persevering.

I had said all along my next marathon would be in a big city where I knew someone who could cheer for me--Marine Corps in Washington DC, or Chicago. But I have a conflict for Marine Corps this year, and Chicago is early enough in the season that I'd have to train mostly on my own, in the sweltering summer.

So, Philadelphia it is! November 22nd. Training for the race will largely align with my favorite training group, Fleet Feet, and I was surprised to learn that there is a large contingent from the group that had already planned to run Philly as well. So I'll have friends and training partners leading up to and on race day.

I'm excited. I have a lot of work to do. I'd always said I wouldn't run another marathon until I was faster, and I'm certainly not in that position now after my inconsistent training this past year. But I have at least 4 months to work on speed and hill workouts before training begins. Lots of time to work on getting stronger and fitter.

It means that I'll have to give up my responsibilities coaching for Fleet Feet, because I'll need to be able to complete the long runs with the group. I'll miss that role, but I will relish having another free weeknight that I currently commit to FF. It will require some planning to work around the weekends I'll need to be out of town for three nephew birthdays (Aug, Sep, and Oct) and our big fall fundraiser.

I know I'll hit points in training this fall when I question why I'm doing this to myself. Why did I think this was a good idea? Why I am putting myself through this?

But it will ALL be worth it--both through little victories throughout training and the race day itself. I already get nervous tickles when I think about it... but I can also feel the exhilaration of it.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment