Welp, I'm 4 days into Whole 30 and feeling so good about it. Once again, I'm reminded how--if nothing else--it's so useful for helping me to branch out and make different meals than I normally would.
My go-to breakfast in the last month had been corn tortilla with chipotle pepper sauce, feta and egg. (White and yellow, basically.) My go to breakfast these last few days? Sauteed onion, sweet potato shreds and kale cooked with garlic and salt, then baked with 2 eggs, some prosciutto and kalamata olives. Colorful and so many more nutrients. And much as I'm a cheese addict, I don't miss it a bit.
Last night, I made the most amazing Chicken Tikka Masala from Against All Grain. I made a few modifications: I really wanted coconut milk in it, so swapped that in for the almond milk. I didn't have 2.5 cups of tomato sauce, so I used a small can of it and a can of diced tomatoes (which actually gave the dish a nice texture). I had chicken breast in the freezer and so subbed that in for thigh. I did make the cashew cream, which added a wonderful creaminess to the meal.
I simply would not have made that dish, or taken the trouble to make cashew cream, on my "normal" diet. I'm so grateful to the Whole 30 plan for opening me up to experimenting in the kitchen.
Today, I'll be making some short ribs (first time ever!) and a frittata to get me through breakfasts this week. Lunch will be my go-to tuna with homemade mayo and chock full of veggies, or leftover chicken tikka masala with salad.
I have baby bok choy and acorn squash waiting some treatment, and some zoodles (zucchini noodles) ready to go.
I've been eating luscious, full meals and minimally snacking. Unlike in past attempts, I'm not craving fruit or dessert to keep up my sugar intake. I feel balanced and even-keeled.. that's the best way I can describe it.
It's easy to start jumping into the thought that I should eat like this 100% of the time, and "I hope I keep this up longer than the month." But in line with my resolve for 2015, I'm not going to get ahead of myself. For now, it's a day at a time, with 30 total in sight. Then, we shall see.
And seriously--if you like tikka masala and can handle the fat in the recipe without fainting (it's a lot), check it out. YUM.
No comments:
Post a Comment