And because training for my first full isn't enough of a challenge, I've agreed to serve as the assistant coach of our training program. I think it will be a very good thing: I'll be the "head mentor" so my job is to encourage mentors and keep them motivated while they motivate and support our program participants. I won't have my own pace group--and while I will miss the camaraderie of having a small group, that also removes any pressure for me to maintain a steady pace, which had been a concern. So, guess it's go big or go home, right?
My off-season training has been okay. I've failed to get into a regular strength routine, but I have made some effort there with DVDs. My plan to join a gym--CrossFit or otherwise--was stymied by some unexpected expenses that ate into my discretionary budget. Ergo, no gym membership for the time being. And on the upside, I created a 180bpm playlist, so I've been focusing on my cadence. The results have been great. I've run up to 5 miles at 180bpm and my average pace has been 9:30--a strong increase from my 10:30 to 11:00 min/mile pace of late. So it will be fun and interesting to see how that translates into my training.
All in all, I know I'm facing a challenge but I'm mostly excited about it. On a run earlier this week, "Remember the Name" by Fort Minor came across my iPod, and I realized it will likely be my motto (maybe even mantra) as I train for Nashville:
This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill,Sounds about right to me.
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will.
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain,
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name.
Here goes nothing. I'm going big.
No comments:
Post a Comment