- I ran Savannah in Nov. 2011 and knocked 12 minutes off of my previous best to finish in 2:15:02. It was an awesome experience, and it became the foundation of a wonderful friendship with the three lovely ladies I roomed with there.
- In spring 2012, I ran the American Tobacco Trail half-marathon, finishing at 2:14:46. It was a pivotal race for me because I managed to win the mental game and keep up a strong pace even though I wasn't sure I could. And it was so satisfying to know that Savannah wasn't a fluke, that I could maintain about a 10:15 pace for the race.
- Over the summer, I focused on training with CrossFit. Although I ultimately gave it up because of the high cost, it was encouraging and exciting to see the changes in my tone and definition. Although I lost ground when I gave up the class, I also know how hard I pushed myself in CrossFit and know that I can do that again, given the right setting.
- This past weekend, I ran the Richmond half-marathon. And, well, it was a good race. Not a great race, but a good race. I finished three minutes slower than my last two races, just under 2:18. I never really felt good during the run, and I was dressed too warmly for the race, which was a good reminder/lesson. I ended up stopping at mile 9 to walk, put on my headphones, and then finished out the race with one or two more short walk breaks. So, given the walking, my final time is okay.
So how did I get from there to wanting to train for a full? In a somewhat perverse way, the struggles I've had this training season--I sometimes felt bored, lacked some of the motivation and drive I've had in prior seasons, wasn't able to keep my head in the race in Richmond--all tell me that I need a new challenge.
It's time to up the stakes and add the pressure of unknown to my training. I know now that I can finish a half-marathon, without question. I don't know that I can finish a full. I believe I can, but I don't know.
Things are lining up for me to race in Nashville, too. I've thought for a while now that my first full marathon would have to meet the following:
- Large race with strong crowd support
- Ability to train with a group
- Long training plan
- Friends in attendance
Nashville is a large race and will be well attended, with plenty of bands along the course. Fleet Feet has chosen it as the spring training program goal race, and we'll have 16 weeks to train (versus the 11 that last year's spring program had). And, I have a whole slew of friends from Fleet Feet who plan to participate.
We may even be able to stay with friends of a friend, which would lower costs. The only rub is that my work's major fundraiser takes place the Thursday and Friday before the race--on Saturday. So, I'll need to leave the fundraiser early on Friday to catch a flight to Nashville to get to the expo and get settled.
All in all, the timing feels right. My gut says "GO." And so I am.
My training started today with Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred workout. To finish the marathon, I will need to be stronger and leaner than I am now. I'll need to train smart and eat smart. Keep my eye on the ball. Cross train (to keep from getting too bored and to be in the best shape I can be) and--most importantly--to have fun and enjoy the insanity that is about to ensue.
I close this post with lyrics from a song that I've been playing on repeat lately, "Once I've Done It" by April Geesbreght (featured on "Hart of Dixie"):
So real, so right, so big, can’t fight the pounding of my heart inside of me. I don’t know what tomorrow’s gonna bring. But I know there’s something waiting there for me. ’Cause today’s the only day that I can see, so I won’t overthink it or complicate it. If I jump I just might make it. I’ll know what I’m doing once I’ve done it.
No comments:
Post a Comment