Sunday, January 9, 2011

Peer pressure? Could work.

Progress.

Okay, so I didn't really follow my training plan for the week, but I managed to get in some good workouts, and I joined a running club that's training for a half-marathon the same weekend as mine! Boo-yah!

While I'm dreading the group's weekly 7am Saturday long runs (the Tuesday 6pm training runs should be no problem), I think it'll be really motivating for me to feel like I'm part of the group. It represents all ages and abilities, too, which is nice. I'm hoping to naturally fall into pace with a running partner or two, but even if that doesn't happen, it's fun to be part of the group! Here's to peer pressure and the powerful motivator of not wanting to let other people down...

So, here's my report (plan in normal font, results in bold):

Monday: Stretch & Strengthen
Um, not so much. But that's okay.

Tuesday: 3 mile run
Yes! I did this! And at a 10 min/mile pace... not too shabby after taking 6 weeks off!

Wednesday: 2 mile run or cross-train
Does playing with a 7-month-old baby count? Then I'm good.

Thursday: 3 mile run & strength training
I was way too sore from Tuesday's run for this...

Friday: Rest
I did an excellent job of this.

Saturday: 30 minutes cross-train
I did my first group run: 3 miles at 7am. (Wowsa, that was early.)

Sunday: 3.5 mile run
I switched plans mid-week to my running group's plan, which called for 60 minutes of cross training. And, I ended up hiking 6 miles in 1 hr 40 min AND walked another couple of miles with friends later in the afternoon. Take that, 60 minute plan.

So, that's the good news.

On the less good side, I'm definitely nervous about the poor condition I'm in. I'm pretty out of shape, so I'm going to have to make some fast progress and be really diligent about sticking to a training plan. And, I really need to focus on strength training. My legs are going to need to be much stronger to carry me up all the hills around here!

I've also reinstated my 10pm on Sunday blog deadline. I'm cutting myself some slack tonight because I did start typing before 10pm, and honestly, my legs got a heck of a workout today. I think squats will be detrimental at this point!

So, to wrap up, because it's a Sunday and I need my beauty sleep... here's this week's plan:

Monday: Run 3 miles
Tuesday (group run): Run 3 miles
Wednesday: Rest or XT
Thursday: Run 2 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday (group run): Run 4 miles
Sunday: 60 min. walk or XT

We are expecting some inclement weather Monday/Tuesday, so I'll need to see how that all plays out. Good thing there's a treadmill at my gym!

At any rate, goodnight, and good luck. Peace and goodwill to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment