Monday, October 25, 2010

An integral first step: Setting the goals

They say (or at least Confucius said) that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Well, I have yet to take my first step--unless creating this blog counts--toward running my second half-marathon.

I chronicled (very sparsely) my adventures in training for my first half-marathon in spring 2009 at the blog www.wherehaveallthenataliesgone.blogspot.com. Well, that's sort of a mouthful, and I wanted to start anew this time, so I've created this blog: A Girl and a Half. Me, and a half-marathon.

While I haven't yet picked my race--my friend "Stella" (names have been changed to protect the innocent) and I are going to train for a half-marathon in February or March. (Side note: Stella, let me know if you'd like a different name.)

So, I've picked an ambitious training plan using my Runner's World SmartCoach iPhone app (no, they're not paying me, nor am I endorsing their program) that should have me race-ready in 16 weeks. It is quite ambitious, so I have a feeling there will be some (much) modification and repeated weeks required. Luckily, 16 weeks from now puts me into early February, so I do have a few weeks' cushion.

My last race, I walked several times. Now, the last issue of Runner's World said that it's not a good idea to set only one race goal; if you set several, you're more likely to have the satisfaction of achieving at least one goal. So here are my goals for this race:
  1. To run the entire way--no walking (my "stretch" goal)
  2. To beat my time from last time (totally feasible: 2 hours and 25 minutes)
  3. To lose at least 5 pounds (very feasible)
Currently, I can comfortably run 3 miles at a 10-ish minute/mile pace a couple (cough, cough) times a week. (Some weeks are better than others.)

Also important to note is that, in addition to my full-time job in communications, I recently took on a part-time job in clothing retail--15 hours a week. So, life is pretty hectic right now. I'm not a morning person, and I'm very easily distracted from training by holidays...

I suppose I should make a fourth goal here, too, to post at least once a week. Although I'd love to post more often, I think that's a realistic goal. And to ensure I stick to that goal, I think I need to create a penalty. So, if I have not posted by 10:00 p.m. EST every Sunday, I will have to do 100 squats or, if that will threaten my training program, I will have to give up cheese for 5 days. (Quite a sacrifice, let me assure you.)

So, here's to posting, and running, and to being a girl who conquers a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment