Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Whole30 Challenge: Homemade Mayo and some thoughts

As I've mentioned a few times, I am just not good with preparing my own seafood. I never seem to cook it right (other than this amazing black pepper crusted salmon I made, which nearly smoked me out of my apartment... eh, details).

But tuna fish is something I can tackle without fear, so I decided to try out the mayonnaise recipe in It Starts With Food, which is provided by Melissa at "The Clothes Make the Girl," who has authored a couple of Paleo cookbooks (one of which will be delivered to me tonight from Amazon, woot woot!).

Here is a link for the recipe, which includes great instructions. 

It does require patience... I let my egg and lemon juice sit out for an hour and even turned on the heat in my apartment to make sure they would be the correct temperature. And it took me at least 5 minutes to drizzle in the olive oil.

But it was worth it. I should, of course, have taken pictures of the mayo or my lunch, but I'll post one later. I had tuna, mayo and celery, and I served the tuna on slices of cucumber. Carrot sticks and an apple rounded out my lunch.

I'm super excited because this opens the door to some new recipes using mayo as the base.

I'm finally nearing the end of the book, so I am gaining a better understanding of some things I still need to tweak in my approach to food and this lifestyle. Like my almond milk has a seriously nasty additive, carrageenan, which is just another sign that those breakfast smoothies have to go. And vegetables really do need to be the base of every meal I'm eating. Fruit is easier for me to eat, yes, but it shouldn't replace veggies on my plate.

Small steps, but I'm getting there and feeling good in the process. Last night was the hardest time I've had fighting old cravings. After my run, I grabbed some chicken and carrots from the hot bar at our local co-op and ate with friends, but on my way home I stopped at Whole Foods to pick up supplies for the mayo. And I wanted to eat EVERYTHING. I wanted junk food so badly... even just bread or crackers in any form. In the end, I settled for green olives and mild flavored kimchi as my snacks. Yep, this is my life. 

Seriously, though, I get it. I see the big picture. I'm on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment